The first few months of parenthood are filled with so many emotions. Your newborn brings immense joy and feelings of love you didn’t even know existed but with that also comes a lot of fear and worry. Does anyone else check on their baby fifty million times in the middle of the night? Ever accidentally wake them up while making sure they’re breathing? Been there, done that! It’s natural to want to keep your newborn close to you and a bassinet/crib that attaches to your bed is a great way to keep them close while also maintaining safe sleep practices.
What is a Co-sleeping Crib/bassinet that Attaches To Bed?
They are cribs or bassinets that attach to the side of a parent’s bed. They are commonly called co-sleeping cribs or co-sleeping bassinets.
What are the differences between co-sleeper bassinets and cribs?
A bassinet is a baby bed smaller than a crib. It is usually designed for newborns and younger babies who outgrow them at around 3 months. The walls of bassinets are not very high so once your baby can stand they can potentially fall out. Bassinets are typically placed next to your bed to give you easy access to your baby throughout the night and typically do not open on the side so there is a barrier between parent and baby.
A crib that attaches to a bed is larger than a bassinet but smaller than a traditional crib and has taller sides so older babies can’t fall out. Usually, the side against the bed is open to enable the parent to reach over to the baby.
Why Get an Attachable Co-Sleeper?
If you are breastfeeding, still recovering from a c section, or simply want to keep your baby close then an attachable co-sleeper might be perfect for you! If you are interested in co-sleeping, the safest way to do so is to create a separate area for your baby to sleep bedside which is why bassinets or cribs that attach to the bed are great ideas!
- Keeps your baby close in a separate sleep area. The open side of a co-sleeping crib against the bed allows parents to lay next to their baby while still sleeping in a separate bed which helps reduce the risk of suffocation that comes with bed-sharing. Unlike bedsharing, co-sleepers provide a measure of safety against the parent’s body.
- Great for breastfeeding and postpartum recovery. The open crib side makes breastfeeding and attending to the baby at night much easier.
- Mom can quickly get to the baby without having to leave the bed. Babies crave their parents’ touch and co-sleepers allow you to make contact when necessary to soothe and supervise safely. Your little one won’t have to cry loud because you will be able to hear and observe their little noises sooner.
- Good for small spaces. Co-sleeping cribs and bassinets are usually smaller and lighter than regular baby beds. This makes a crib attached to the bed a great option for smaller spaces.
- American Academy of Pediatrics recommends room sharing for the first 6-months.
How does a co-sleeper crib attach to the bed?
A vast majority of co-sleeper cribs and bassinets that attach to the bed come with straps and any items needed to securely fasten the co-sleeper or bassinet to the bed frame. They will also come with fastening instructions. You can also search on youtube for the brand and model of the co-sleeper you have for video instructions.
How to choose the best baby co-sleeper crib that attaches to the bed? Things to consider.
Safety should be the number one determining factor in choosing a co-sleeper. Make sure they allow for safe sleeping practices and follow safety feature protocols.
Make sure it is sturdy and of high quality. The bedside locks should be very secure.
Breathable walls to promote airflow.
Avoid extra padding.
Know what function you want your co-sleeper to serve to help you choose the best one.
Bedside Sleeper: These attach to your bed.
Stand-alone bassinet: These don’t attach to the bed but can be put right beside your bed and are easy to move anywhere you need it.
Be sure that the co-sleeper design is able to be safely attached to your bed.
Your child’s age
Top 5 Best Co-Sleeper Cribs
The Best Baby Bassinet That attaches To Bed
If you are unsure about having your baby’s bed open against yours then the Arm’s Reach Bassinet is a great option for you! It has two modes, a co-sleeping crib mode in which it attaches to your bed or it can be used as a free-standing bassinet. The Mini Ezee is designed for newborns 0-5 months
The Arm’s Reach brand actually patented the first bedside sleeper that attaches to beds! Their Mini Ezee was made with nursing mothers in mind so it is a great height for most beds. It also offers plenty of storage.
This co-sleeping bassinet looks really nice! The neutral color and design will look great in any home, but if you like a little more color or pattern it is available in a few more options!
Natural, Turquoise Geo, Toffee, Toffee Stripe, Chevron, Java Dot, Damask
- It is JPMA certified and conforms to ASTM safety standards.
- Has 2 modes. Bedside Sleeper and stand-alone bassinet.
- It is portable and comes with a carry case for travel.
- Has wheels on one end for easier moving.
- It is a great option for breastfeeding Moms or Moms with C-Sections. Easy nighttime feeding and changing.
- Easy setup.
- Features an attached storage tray and pockets.
- Includes mattress and fitted sheet.
- The mattress is made from non-toxic polyester fabrics
- According to Arm’s Reach, this co-sleeper is endorsed by pediatricians, OB/GYN’s, and child care experts.
- Some reviewers say that assembly is not as easy as the product description states.
Bassinet Dimensions: Set up- 21 x 31 x 34 inches. Folded- 10″ x 10″ x 32″
Weight: 23.7 pounds
Best Baby Co-Sleeper Crib That Attached To Bed
This bedside sleeper is the most budget-friendly option since it can be used much longer than the other co-sleeping bassinets and cribs. Most bassinets that attach to the bed can only be used from birth to about 5 months when babies start to stand on their own. This co-sleeper has adjustable heights so it can be used in toddlerhood. You can certainly get your money’s worth out of this one.
- Adheres to international safety standards.
- Has upper and lower sleeping levels.
- Can convert to a playpen.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Neutral design.
- Storage while the upper level is used.
- Wheels on one side for easy moving.
- Some reviewers say assembly was not as easy as listed.
Dimensions: 37.79 x 25.98 x 30.31 inches;
Weight: 23.6 Pounds
Stylish Bassinet That Attaches To Bed
I love the way this co-sleeper looks! It is so modern and stylish. When you are putting a baby bed in your room you probably want it to look nice and match your decor. This co-sleeping bed looks like a it’s from a higher-end brand but it is relatively cheap for a bassinet that attached to a bed. It is suitable for babies up to 20 lbs or 5 months of age.
- Patented technology with no-tool assembly and a quick folding mechanism.
- Adjustable height to attach at a good level for your bed.
- Easy to clean- The fabric parts are removable and can be machine washed.
- Meets all safety standards set by the CPSC &ASTM.
- The only thing I don’t like is that not all of the sides are mesh. The side that opens to attach to the bed does have a mesh siding though.
Dimensions: 36.6 x 21.6 x 27 inches.
Weight: 28 pounds.
Best Full-Size Crib That Attaches To Bed
This co-sleeper is so versatile! It is a full-size stand-alone crib, co-sleeper that attaches to the bed, a playpen, and a diaper changing station.
- Breathable mesh sidewalls.
- 4-in-1 design.
- Adjustable height.
- Portable design folds for easy transport and storage.
- Easy and Tool-free Assembly.
- Can be used from birth to 36 months.
- The main complaint in reviews is that sometimes the mattress is forgotten and not shipped with the crib.
Dimensions: 49 x 26 x 31 inches
Weight: 31.1 pounds
The Best Bedside Bassinet
This bassinet does not attach to the bed but it is still a great co-sleeping option that a lot of parents rave about. It holds babies up to 20 lbs.
- The only bassinet with a 360º swivel.
- The patented lowering bedside wall makes it easier to care for baby from bed.
- Soothing sounds and gentle vibrations.
- Firm flat sleeping surface.
- Waterproof mattress.
- Has won a lot of awards.
- See-through breathable mesh walls.
- Not a lot of storage.
- Can only be used until the baby starts to pull themself up.
Dimensions: 37.6 x 18.12 x 10.83 inches
Weight: 39.47 Pounds
Co-sleeping cots are great for toddlers and older kids who want to sleep in their parents’ room!
At the end of the day, the most important things are a happy and healthy well-rested baby and parents. Co-sleeping is a great way to achieve this but needs to be practiced safely with safe sleep methods. These bedside co-sleepers allow for the baby to have their own sleep area without any bedding or pillows and provide a barrier to help prevent parents from rolling overall while allowing you to be close to your baby.